Sri Lanka Army

Defender of the Nation

Published on - 1/31/2008

Loss &; Damage to Tiger Terrorists Swells

WANNI: INTERMITTENT CLASHES between Tiger terrorists and troops that raged for another day in WANNI on Wednesday (30) caused considerable loss and damage to Tiger terrorists.

In the first incident troops after observing a movement of Tiger terrorists in KALLIKULAM, MANNAR directed RPGs (Rocket Propeller Guns) and small arms fire on Wednesday (30) around 1.45 p.m. while the troops were on foot patrol. Troops were able to gun down at least five terrorists inflicting injuries to several others.

Meanwhile, troops captured an LTTE strong point surrounded by a bunker line in the general area of ADAMPAN on Wednesday (30) around 8.45 a.m. after a fierce gun battle.

The location, believed to be one of their command posts, had been heavily fortified with a three-layer concrete slab.

After the capture of the position, troops conducted a search in the area and recovered forty-three anti personnel mines, forty hand grenades, five thousand three hundred and thirty three (5333) T-56 ammunition rounds, ten Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs), several soap bags and food containers lying in the destroyed bunker.

Some of the explosives thus found were defused by the troops who also confirmed at least ten terrorists would have perished in the battle.

Troops marching forward found three abandoned LTTE bunkers, sixty anti personnel (AP) mines and four booby traps from the general area of VILATTIKULAM Wednesday (30) around 3.55 p.m.

Meanwhile, two soldiers received injuries due to explosion of a terrorist anti personnel mine in the general area of PERIYAPANDIVIRICHCHAN, VAVUNIYA on Wednesday (30) at about 8.10 a.m.. Injured soldiers were admitted to VAVUNIYA field hospital.

Three more soldiers were injured due to explosion of another anti personnel mine at MULLIKULAM on Wednesday (30) around 2.50 p.m.

Another search and clear operation conducted by the troops in KADAWANA area, TRINCOMALEE found twenty 60 mm mortar bombs and thirteen 60 mm mortar cartridges Wednesday (30) at about 12.40 p.m..

One 120 mm mortar bomb, trapped by the terrorists was also found by the troops from the general area of ALIYAODAI, BATTICALOA Wednesday (30) at about 9.20 a.m.. Later it was exploded by engineer troops.