Here follow a few important quotes from India’s Janatha Party Leader, Dr Subramanian Swamy’s address to the final sessions of the ‘Defence Seminar -2012,’ just concluded at Colombo Galadari Hotel.
1. ‘The Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa chose to bring a 29 year sordid chapter of terrorism to a decisive end by military means. By this victory, India was a major beneficiary.’
2. Tamil Community & TNA Supported then Army Commander during the Presidential Election against the incumbent President, Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces. So, no basis to the logic that the Army had carried out genocides - Dr. Subramaniam Swamy, Leader of India’s Janatha Party.
3. ‘Today, Tamil families no more fear the so-called Tigers’ forced recruitment of their children, disruption of their education, and their various brutalization and abuses.’
4. ‘The people of India recognize the political leadership of the President Mr. Rajapaksa and his ability to inspire the armed forces to fight on and die for the victory over LTTE as a contribution to our national security and fit for being honoured by India’s highest award in the future.’
5. ‘As an Indian and a Tamil, let me say at this point that the overwhelming proportion of the people of Tamil Nadu had rejected the LTTE whenever they were made to make a call.’
6. ‘An overwhelming majority of the Indian people disapproved of the Indian Government decision to support the US sponsored Resolution in the UN Commission on Human Rights.’
7. ‘No proposal for reconciliation can be pushed for acceptance in Sri Lanka from abroad, whether from India, or United Nations or from any European busy bodies.’
8. ‘The devolution must, we in India recognize, be within the comfort zone of Sinhala majority feelings and at the same time be considered adequate by the Tamil minority.’
9. ‘I can tell you with full conviction today that the Indian people wish Sri Lanka well. We, in India in fact feel kinship with you, Sri Lankans, emotionally, historically, religiously, linguistically and also for the benefit of our mutual national security. As recent genetic research reveals, Indians and Sri Lankans have the same DNA.’
10. ‘Let not world dilute this victory’ over terrorism. Sri Lanka brought it to an end while other parts of the world are making compromises. It is a historic landmark in the world history.’
11. ‘This conference is one of the best I have attended with an extraordinary participation of military chiefs and reputed commentators.’
12. ‘I don’t agree with the notion of an ethnic conflict. If those Tamils had migrated from Tamil Nadu, so did the Sinhalese from Bengal, Orissa, etc. Who would speak for the Sinhalese then?. There is no difference of significance between a Sinhalese and a Tamil. This sense has to be instilled in both communities.’
13. ‘Sri Lanka should be a secular Buddhist one and everyone should be free to live as one wishes.’